Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Default of jit-lock-stealth-time
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 16:43:14 +0100

Daniel Brockman <address@hidden> writes:

> It would be cool if Emacs could detect whether it's running
> on battery power and in that case go easy on the CPU.

You are again assuming that Emacs is the only application worth
grabbing CPU power.

Emacs is intended to be started once and then kept running.  If the
only way to keep it from hogging the CPU is to exit it, this makes
Emacs unsuitable as an editor.

Emacs is an editor, an interactive application: the moments where a
user finds it acceptable for it to consume CPU are those when she it
typing into it.

Stealth fontification may be nice as a user option (though I have
still to see a single case where its effects are not worse than what
it is supposed to cure), but enabling it by default is sheer madness.