Re: Updating the homepage

From: JD Smith
Subject: Re: Updating the homepage
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:04:06 -0700

On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 14:13:24 +0100, Romain Francoise wrote:

> This list of machines is of limited use nowadays -- most people have
> commodity x86 hardware, and the page mentions that etc/MACHINES is the
> canonical source anyway.

I certainly hope someone will write a high-level description for the
new webpage of what's new in Emacs 22, targeted at users.  Currently,
the Development & "Coming Soon" section on the page links to TODO and
etc/NEWS, or rather, the Savannah CVS view for these.  Not only is the
CVS view confusing unless you're familiar, the NEWS file itself has
all sorts of things that are likely not of interest to users, e.g.:

---
** When pure storage overflows while dumping, Emacs now prints how
much pure storage it will approximately need.

Ideally we could summarize the most important user-visible changes in
10 bullet points or so, to put right on the page.  Maybe this has
already been done.

JD