Re: report-emacs-bug and *mail* buffer.

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: report-emacs-bug and *mail* buffer.
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 13:24:37 +0900

>     =2D message-user-agent, which calls `message-mail', ignores its
>     SWITCH-FUNCTION and CONTINUE args and always open a new buffer.

> Isn't that a bug?  Shouldn't message-mail obey these arguments?

We will have to implement them in Gnus if those arguments are
really required, although I think it doesn't solve the problem
that `sendmail-user-agent' overrides an existing *mail* buffer.

IMHO, implementing SWITCH-FUNCTION is regression.  Because, in
the case that `mail-user-agent' is `gnus-user-agent', we can use
the `gnus-buffer-configuration' feature to customize how to pop
to a mail buffer up variously.  The valid choices include splitting
a window, making a new frame, etc.  For CONTINUE, it is hard to me
to imagine the situation where I want to use an existing *mail*
buffer in order to compose a new mail.  Anyway, that Gnus users
set `mail-user-agent' to `gnus-user-agent' is the best, I think.

Regards,

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/67501