RE: `q' in debugger with a dedicated *Backtrace* window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: `q' in debugger with a dedicated *Backtrace* window
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 00:42:30 -0700

> > quit-window is a pain

You snipped this part: "but it is a lot less of a pain than flashing,
iconifying, or burying"

> That's what I told you when you kept begging for it.

quit-window is much better than bury-buffer, for my own use. I said from the
beginning, however, that the Emacs 20/21 behavior was fine with me - I can
delete the frame when I'm done with it.

I found automatic iconifying (from bury-buffer) annoying; you found leaving
the frame present (as in Emacs 20/21) annoying. quit-window is one middle
way.

But why not add a user option, as both you and I proposed more than once?
That is, use (funcall debugger-quit-function) in place of (bury-buffer) or
(quit-window) or (do-nothing).

Different users are bound to have different uses of the debugger and
different preferences for its interaction. An option would provide the
necessary flexibility. And yes, you can call the option
"debugger-for-drew-adams" if that makes you feel better. I know I won't be
the only one who uses it, and I don't mind taking credit for it ;-).

If we can't have an option, then please leave the code as is - quit-window
is a lot better than the alternatives I've seen since Emacs 21.

Antinews humor from my email on 2005-06-10: