Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: kbd vs read-key-sequence
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 15:46:05 +0300

> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 21:31:38 +0900
>
> >      http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms646267.aspx
>
> > (under "Nonsystem Character Messages"), and
>
> >      http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms633586.aspx
>
> > for the gory details.
>
> Ummm, by reading that page briefly, it seems that getting
> Unicode codepoints is much easier.

Maybe it is (experience tells me that nothing is ever easy on Windows
wrt international support), but some Windows versions (which we still
support) don't have Unicode support built-in.  We don't yet want to
drop support for those systems, surely not because of an obscure
problem of binding META-non-ASCII characters!

> > But surely, such a drastic change in the w32 keyboard input processing
> > is not something to consider before the release!  Especially when the
> > problems we are trying to fix are so minor, almost invisible.
>
> I basicly agree.  But, such a change is better than managing
> to modify encoded-kbd-mode to do what it shouldn't do.

Well, I think we shouldn't be doing anything at all, neither in
encoded-kbd-mode nor in w32 keyboard input.  I already documented in
PROBLEMS that this is a known problem with Emacs 22.1 on Windows.