Re: filladapt mode stops filling after lengthy amount of emacs uptime

From: John Owens
Subject: Re: filladapt mode stops filling after lengthy amount of emacs uptime
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 17:36:59 +0000 (UTC)

Howdy, I've got zero response from the SEMI developers.
So I hope maybe I can enlist the help of smart folks here
to help me fix it myself. The bad function is below:

The answer is to make paragraph-start a local variable
(make-local-variable). How is this done? Single call to
make-local-variable in this function (and that will work)?
Where should I put it?

A one-sentence explanation of what this does would be very
useful for me (I can see having a local variable would be
good, but how long does a local variable last, "local
variable" to me means "local for the lifetime of the function" -
doesn't this function complete immediately after you call it?

Thanks -

JDO

=========================

(defun turn-on-mime-edit ()
  "Unconditionally turn on MIME-Edit mode."
  (interactive)
  (if mime-edit-mode-flag
      (error "You are already editing a MIME message.")
    (setq mime-edit-mode-flag t)

    ;; Set transfer level into mode line
    ;;
    (setq mime-transfer-level-string
          (mime-encoding-name mime-transfer-level 'not-omit))
    (force-mode-line-update)

    ;; Define menu for XEmacs.
    (if (featurep 'xemacs)
        (mime-edit-define-menu-for-xemacs)
      )

    (enable-invisible)

    ;; I don't care about saving these.
    (setq paragraph-start
          (regexp-or mime-edit-single-part-tag-regexp
                     paragraph-start))
    (setq paragraph-separate
          (regexp-or mime-edit-single-part-tag-regexp
                     paragraph-separate))
    (run-hooks 'mime-edit-mode-hook)
    (message
     "%s"
     (substitute-command-keys
      "Type \\[mime-edit-exit] to exit MIME mode, and type \\[mime-edit-help] to
get help."))
    ))