RE: `customize-customized' and mode variable of a minor mode

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: `customize-customized' and mode variable of a minor mode
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:48:51 -0700

> > `define-minor-mode' defines a defcustom, not a defvar, for the mode
> > variable. That seems like a good thing. However, if the mode has been
> > toggled, then `customize-customized' recognizes this variable's value as
> > having changed.
> >
> > This can be inconvenient. Users should be able to use
> > `customize-customized' to check for variables that they have
> > changed and might want to save. I use `customize-customized'
> > (tweaked so it always returns t) on `kill-emacs-query-functions',
> > for instance, to remind me to save changes. A mode variable
> > change via toggling is not usually a change users want to save.
>
> I do not follow you here. I do not know if it matters, but it is only
> minor modes that are global that shows up in `customize-customized'.

OK, then what I suggested applies only to global minor modes.

> For what reasons should not users want to save them?

Toggling a mode changes the value of the mode variable. Why would a user
want to save that new value? You might toggle a (global) minor mode several
times during an Emacs session. Turning the mode on and off doesn't imply
that you want to change the saved value. I don't see a use case for that.