Re: narrow-to-defun and mark-defun now work properly for CC Mode.

From: Richard Matthew Stallman
Subject: Re: narrow-to-defun and mark-defun now work properly for CC Mode.
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 19:04:19 -0400

    The trouble is that font-lock uses {beginning/end}-of-defun-function.
    Because c-{beginning/end}-of-defun-function is slow (which is
    apparently unavoidable due to syntactic complications), it makes
    font-lock unacceptably slow (> 20 seconds for M-> in xdisp.c).

I see an easy solution: make font-lock use the old
code which CC mode formerly used, but keep the new code for
interactive use of C-M-h.

    Having narrow-to-defun including the function header would be nice,
    but if no solution to the slowness problem arises quickly, I think
    this change should be postphoned to post-22.

It is a mistake to TALK about giving up before investigating possible
easy solutions such as the one I suggested above.