Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'

From: Randal L. Schwartz
Subject: Re: Calc: `*' binds more strongly than `/'
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 05:47:00 -0700

>>>>> "Christian" == Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:

Christian> I believe (but I do not know) that Calc's behaviour is (too) far from
Christian> what `ordinary' people (like me ;-) would expect: I ran into this
Christian> feature in my first table and wondered what was going on. I thought
Christian> that Org-mode calculates `wrong'.

You mean from what *programmers* think.  Keep in mind that Calc was designed
by a mathematician, and it's much more natural in math to have * have higher
precedence than /.  There's no promise that the order of operations is like
programmer-think.  I got used to it quite quickly when I was playing with Calc
during its initial development.

I suggest it not be changed.  It will break old code (Calc has been around for
almost two decades), it's a minor thing, and people have eventually stumbled
on it, and it's well (over?) documented.

<address@hidden> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>