Re: Bug in change in button.el?

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Bug in change in button.el?
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:34:51 -0400

Nick Roberts wrote:

> So Emacs is consistent in what it does when underlining is not
> supported.

It's only "consistent" if you really want this to be an underlined
face. If you actually want it to be distinguishable, it should use
something else (eg colour).

> Previously it did nothing (apart from on MS-DOS), bold (if
> available) would be fine.

I can tell you by experiment that if you make it inherit from
underline, it will once again by indistinguishable on the linux
console.

> No let's sort this case, and leave behaviour otherwise unchanged.

Absolutely!

> RMS can decide which solution to use.

Decide between what choices?

I do think this needed changing, because buttons were
indistinguishable on the console as you said. I really regret that I
got it wrong and spawned yet another big discussion on a small issue.
Sorry all.