Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: joakim
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 22:19:48 +0200

> I don't like the idea of having a package system for Emacs.  First of all,
> it clearly is not needed.  Second, it would invite programmers to put
> a lot of work into a mechanism instead of putting it into improvements
> in what Emacs can actually do.

Tom Tromey posted a simple implementation of a package system to
emacs.sources recently. It works fairly well, so the time is already
invested.

IMHO such a system is very useful for packages outside of the emacs
core, and it would be nice if package.el could be inside the core so
external packages could be easily installed by users.

Compared with systems like Eclipse, installing an emacs package
consists of some fairly boring obviously automatable steps. (like
hunting for the package, downloading in the right dir, entering the
correct invocation in .emacs, etc...)

--
Joakim Verona