Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: thorne
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 16:52:12 -0700

Tom Tromey <address@hidden> writes:

> Everybody who ever used the Ohio State Elisp Archive, ELL, or uploaded
> or downloaded code from the Emacs Wiki.

Just a couple of thoughts from an end-user.  Safe to ignore.

It seems like the basic logic in package.el could be useful for other
related things.  For instance, what's to stop one from writing a
little code to use the url package to grab something from, say, the
Google Usenet archives of gnu.emacs.sources, try to strip headers and
`this is my first post to g.e.sources' blah blah and then feed it to
package.el?  Or a function like
`gnus-install-lisp-package-from-message'?  Same goes for source on the
EmacsWiki.  The function could just give a graceful error message if
it couldn't extract the lisp, or if it was malformed as a package.

Assuming the source had version info it could work just as well as
something downloaded from an official repository.

As for version conflicts with new releases of Emacs, isn't that
something users expect to happen sometimes when they try to install
anything that didn't come with their base Emacs?

--
þ    theron tlåx    þ
(compose-mail (concat "thorne@" (rot13 "gvzoeny") ".net"))