Re: CVS is the `released version'

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CVS is the `released version'
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:22:36 -0400

    If we provide Emacs commands that produce a package _and_ can install
    into an Emacs CVS work copy (probably generating appropriate ChangeLog
    entries semi-automatically) _and_ can install into local directories
    for a running Emacs, all from the same package source tree, we
    basically are at a point where contributing to Emacs CVS is a
    zero-pain procedure once one finished testing and installing locally.
    If those commands don't do much more than a recursive copy, so much
    the better: it would mean that one could convert one form into a
    different one easily, not requiring starting from a "canonical" source
    version.

I am confused by this response, because I was talking about
installation into a separate repository of packages not included in
Emacs itself, but you're talking about installation into Emacs.

That doesn't mean your idea is not a good one, but I am not sure
what its point is.