Re: For after-the-release: enhanced partial completion

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: For after-the-release: enhanced partial completion
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:33:12 -0700

Leo <address@hidden> writes:
> Tried your new patch. It doesn't work for me. For example, when I typed
> 'M-x e l m TAB', it didn't  expand to "e-l-m". Is this
> intended?

Yes, it was.  My feeling was that this kind of completion is sort
of a guess, so moving the point and inserting "-" would more
likely be annoying rather than helpful.  Having used it more,
though, I think doing the expansion might be best.  Does the
attached patch do the right thing?  I think it has the desired
behavior: if "xyz" has multiple completions, it behaves just like
"x-y-z", but if it has none, both point and "xyz" are left
intact.  However PC-do-completions, at 392 lines, is somewhat
frightening, so I may have done something wrong.

As unrelated issue, I noticed that PC-lisp-complete-symbol could
stand to be improved.  Try this:

    (insert "(mvb")
    (PC-lisp-complete-symbol)
    (insert "u")
    (PC-lisp-complete-symbol)

There's already a commented-out version of the fix in
complete.el, which should probably be enabled.

/s