Re: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.

From: David House
Subject: Re: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:42:47 +0100

On 07/06/07, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
The main point is that either order would be clear (i.e. would not "be
confusing"), because of the explicit dimension indicators `x' and `y'. The
same is not true of the other suggestions (except for `C' and `L').

Disagreed - I'd probably just glance at the first number and expect it
to be a column number.

Additionally, the numbers in 184x25y aren't as visually distinct as in
(184,25) or 184L 25C (although the latter is still confusing as the L
and C tend to visually merge into the numerals).

What's the connection with compiler error messages? This is interactive
feedback about cursor position in a buffer. In compiler output, you are
primarily (as in first) interested in the line number. That's not the case
here - you might be interested in either or both. Yes, it would be
"abnormal" for compiler messages to list the column number first. I don't
see why that's pertinent here.

They still have in common that they display a line number and a column
number. There aren't many other places where this happens, so compiler
messages are pretty much the standard, I guess.

--
-David House, address@hidden