Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable inElispmanualindex]

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enable inElispmanualindex]
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 11:32:19 +0300

>     `i' can be a link.  Just as in Emacs typing `i RET' visits the first
>     index node,
>
> The main purpose of `i' is to _search_ the index.
> If it can't do that, I am not sure that "handling" it in
> a different way is useful.

In the Emacs Info browser (when it will read HTML files) it is possible
to make `i' to search the index in HTML files generated by makeinfo.

In standard HTML browsers this is problematic since there are no standard
ways to do this.  Usually, this kind of functionality is implemented by
server-side scripting.  I think we should not do this since reading
local Info manuals should be possible without a Web server.

But even a link to the Index HTML page is useful in standard HTML browsers,
since users can visit it and search the Index page with HTML page text search
commands (its analogy in Emacs is `i RET C-s text C-s C-s RET RET'),
though this is less convenient than `i text RET , , ,'.

BTW, I have an idea to improve the `i' commands in the Emacs Info browser.
Its main drawback currently is that it forces the user to cycle through
many Info nodes before arriving to the desired one.  We could create a new
command `Info-index-occur' that will ask the user for the index substring
and display a list of references from Index nodes that contain the given
substring.  Then the user can visit a selected index item in such subindex
node.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/