Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:51:25 -0400

    I think it would be confusing if setenv and most particularly getenv
    did not work for TERM and DISPLAY variables, and I see no particular
    benefit to letting them stop to work mostly as previously.

I agree.  We can write special case code to handle these two
variables in those functions.

     If
    setenv/getenv are to remain the preferred accessors, it seems
    reasonable to gather the terminal-local variables in a single list in
    order not to have to special-case every variable.

I disagree there.  It is just two variables; handling each one specially
is not much complexity, and it is only inside setenv and getenv.
And separate variables will be more convenient for callers
of call-process, etc.