Re: key binding of `M-&' shows up in menu as (M-)

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: key binding of `M-&' shows up in menu as (M-)
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 23:17:07 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:

Eli suggested to move this discussion to Emacs Devel so I am doing that now.

Lennart Borgman (gmail) wrote:
Unfortunately I do not think that is the right change. This totally
spoils the possibility to use accelerators for the menus on w32. I do
not think the minor problem it solves justifies that.

For now, it is the right change. In future when accelerators are
supported, they will need to be supported in a cross platform way
anyway, and this bug will still exist, so avoiding fixing this bug now
will not help us later.

Probably you are right, but as I said it breaks the possibility to use menu accelerators at all on w32 now.

Since I am doing that right now in EmacsW32 I think it is a bit unfortunate. I do not want to maintain yet another patch.

 The reasonable value is in my opinion the position for the
accelerator within *name.

Generally accelerators are defined by a character, not position. The
first occurrence of that character gets underlined by the toolkit. But
we need to check all toolkits that Emacs supports to be sure that this
is sufficient information.

Yes, that does not matter very much, but adding the character instead is probably easier to understand.

Since the accelerator AFAICS must be a character in all toolkits adding this is what have to be done.

What must be defined is the lisp interface for this. So, again, adding something like

  (menu-item ...
     :acc-char ...)

seems right to me.

That far I do not see any problems.

For the implementation of giving this information to the menu routines on w32 it might be best to just enhance Eli's patch with this. (Another possibility would be to add a new string, say *acc-name, a version with accelarator info added. But such an implementation is a bit less generic.)

I do not care about the exact details as long as the implementation is generic enough. What I care about is that we do this.

I remember Jan knew the requirements for one of the toolkits. That toolkit handled accelerators similar to w32, but instead of the char & the char _ was just to mark the accelerator in the menu string.