Dired and wildcards

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Dired and wildcards
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 10:43:43 +0300

Suppose you have a directory named "foo[bar]".  From a Bash prompt,
"ls foo[bar]" will show the contents of that directory, unless there
are files that match the wildcard "foo[bar]".  If there are such
files, `ls' shows me those files, not the directory.  This is
expected, given the way Bash handles wildcards.

But from Emacs on GNU/Linux, "C-x d foo[bar] RET" _always_ shows the
contents of the directory foo[bar].  Is there any way to tell Dired
that the argument is a wildcard, not a literal file name?  What am I
missing?

TIA