Re: *scratch* buffer (was: A wish, a plea)

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: *scratch* buffer (was: A wish, a plea)
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:06:44 -0700 (PDT)

> I am also intending to make the *scratch* buffer persistent across
> sessions.
> That way, users will not be bothered to give it a name and to
> explicitly save it. But they will retain its contents across crashes
> and intentional restarts. If the desktop is a good analogy: when I
> come into my office in the morning, all my scratch papers are still
> on my desk. Even in companies that operate a "clean desk policy", the
> cleaners are not instructed to throw away everything that's on
> people's desks at 7am. (Or do they?)

I realize that Mac does not believe in running two copies of the same
application (process), but taking that to be a Bad Assumption, I ask: how
does this deal in any even moderately graceful way with simultaneous
Emacses?  We have a persistent state, automatically saved, with no name,
that is surely to conflict with other *scratch*es.

Davis

shipping.