Re: bad tool-bar icons in Emacs 22.1 release

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: bad tool-bar icons in Emacs 22.1 release
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2007 12:47:28 +0200

On Sat, Jun 30 2007, Jan Djärv wrote:

>> On Mon, Jun 11 2007, Jason Rumney wrote:
[...]
>>> OK. Here is the license for libxpm, which is the most important for the
>>> color versions of the tool-bar and other images that are a standard part
>>> of Emacs. I think including just this library is enough to satisfy most
>>> users, but that is open to discussion. If others think JPEG, PNG, TIFF
>>> and GIF support are important enough to include, we can look at those
>>> licenses and consider patent issues (for GIF at least, I don't think the
>>> patents have expired in all jurisdictions yet) separately.
>
> PNG is important.  If we want Emacs to change icons when the Gnome/Gtk+ theme
> changes, Emacs will then use PNG icons.  Most (all?) Gnome/Gtk+ icons are in
> PNG format.  But this is code that Gtk+ loads dynamically with dlopen, so
> Emacs itself does not know that PNG is used.  Not sure if that affects the
> license issue?

But this isn't relevant to the issue at hand (the binary distribution
of Emacs 22 for Windows on <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows>), is
it?

Probably it wasn't clear from the quoted context: The binaries on
<ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows> don't include DLLs required to
display XPM (tool bar), PNG, JPEG and other images in Emacs.  The user
needs to download them separately from several(?) third party sites as
explained in <ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/README>.  Else, the
user only gets (ugly) monochrome PBM/PGM/PPM icons, as shown in the
first screen shot in
<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/15800>.

Bye, Reiner.
--