RE: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: dired-details: show/hide file details in Dired
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 06:46:50 -0700

> > Dired Details lets you toggle the display of file details in Dired. When
> > off, it looks a bit like speedbar, but it is still a fully
> > functioning Dired buffer. If the author, Rob Giardina, agrees, how
> > about including this in Emacs?
>
> I sometimes would have liked to hide parts of the details. For example
> I quite often want to see the file size and dates but very seldom the
> permissions.

This does not cater to that currently. That might be a useful enhancement.

Personnally, I don't usually want to see such info on a continual basis.
When I want to see it, I toggle briefly to see it, then go back to showing
no details. If there is a use case for continually showing a subset of the
information, that could perhaps be added as an enhancement.

> Also, for those, like me, that does not use separate
> frames, it would be useful if the dired window was split vertically to
> use the extra space, maybe something like follow-mode maybe?

`C-x 3', then Dired?

Oh, I see, you want two or more columns for Dired, right? Yes, you can do
that too: `M-x follow-mode' + `C-x 3' (repeat `C-x 3' as needed). (The
toggle, however, acts on all of the Dired windows, not just one.)

> How does these extensions work together with wdired.el?

Dunno. Give it a try ;-).