Re: File-specific autoloads

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: File-specific autoloads
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 19:04:53 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:02:59 +0200
>
> () Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
> () Fri, 06 Jul 2007 13:53:33 +0300
>
>    Because of this change, "cvs up" now shows ps-print.el and
>    cl-loaddefs.el as modified, which might cause trouble if, say,
>    ps-print.el is ever modified in the repository.
>
> brief experiments w/ chmod +w; touch; rewrite (random mod plus undo
> plus save) -- all do not result in "cvs up" displaying "M filename".

That's an incorrect emulation of what "make autoloads" does: it _does_
modify the file.  At least in my case, it did (I verified that with
"cvs diff").

> but regardless of cvs version quirks, let's look at the nature of the
> changes: autoload processing changes a specified region; programmers
> should not change that region manually.

And we want to rely on that?

Anyway, seeing those "M ps-print.el" lines in the output of "cvs up"
is extremely annoying, because I'm used to take that as a sign that I
have uncommitted changes in my sandbox.  It also breaks the principle
that files that are rewritten locally as part of the build process are
not kept in CVS.

So I think this change in its current incarnation is for the worse.
Maybe if the autoloads were written into files that are not in CVS I'd
be happier.