Re: patch: handle PS/PDF in Gnus

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: patch: handle PS/PDF in Gnus
Date: Sun, 08 Jul 2007 10:31:08 -0400

> I think we need to discuss a platform-independent interface to a
> printer dialog, before we implement platform-dependent
> implementations.  Carbon and Gtk+ are not the only platforms that have
> such dialogs built into the OS APIs.

Maybe the best solution for that goes as follows:
1 - each platform implementer writes a C DEFUN that provides the most
    obvious and direct interface to the underlying API.
2 - we then compare the various resulting interfaces and come up with a Lisp
    library written on top of it which unifies them into
    a platform-independent interface.
3 - most likely along the way, the unification effort showed that some of
    the platform-specific implementations can be improved or need to be
    changed.

The idea here is that number 1 can be done by each implementer without
knowing anything else, whereas number 2 can be done by people like myself
who lack the platform-specific knowledge.

        Stefan