Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 01:52:32 +0300

> But why do the auto-save files have to go in ~/, and not somewhere  where
> they don't annoy the user?

I have many backup files in ~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/, and they don't
bother me in this directory.  So scratch backup files could go to a
special directory like ~/.emacs.d/scratch/.

> Why is there more than one auto-save file?  Isn't that a bug?

With a proper implementation, more than one auto-save file will be
necessary only for many simultaneous Emacs sessions.

> Why is the user asked at all whether *scratch* should be saved? That  is
> annoying.

I'm one of the few people who could benefit from saving the scratch buffer
because I often forget to save some "expiremental" pieces of code in it
so I need to have a window with the scratch buffer always visible
to not forget to save it, and this is inconvenient.  But the current
implementation with asking the question and leaving auto-save files
everywhere is very annoying.

> If anything, *scratch* should be automatically persistent. It's still
> not meant to be a buffer that is saved to a user-managed file. It's just
> supposed to be persistent so that restarting Emacs doesn't have
> a devastating effect!

I agree that this would be a better solution to make it automatically
persistent without asking questions.  So after restarting Emacs,
it could restore the old content of the scratch buffer, and automatically
save it after modifications.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/