RE: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 23:18:26 -0700

> > (defcustom visit-on-startup nil
> >   "What Emacs visits when it starts up.
> > A non-nil value is a string naming a directory, file, or buffer
> to visit.
> > If nil, then the splash screen is displayed."
> >   :type '(choice
> >           (directory :tag "Directory"      :value "~/")
> >           (file      :tag "File"           :value "~/new.txt")
> >           (string    :tag "Buffer"         :value "*scratch*")
> >           (const     :tag "Splash Screen"  nil))
> >   :group 'startup-display)
> >
> > The value is a string or nil. If you choose `Buffer', then you
> > can enter any string (without completion). If the string names a
> > buffer that exists at startup, such as *scratch* or *Messages*,
> > then that buffer is visited (in the proper mode). If the string
> > names a nonexistent buffer, then that buffer is created and
> > visited.
>
> You mean: then that _file_ is visited.  It does not make sense to
> visit a buffer.

Oh, if you insist. I think we could use "visit" loosely here, to get the
point across, but if you want to be pedantic about it, then we shouldn't say
"visit" the splash screen either. So change it to speak of "visiting" a file
or directory, "displaying and selecting" a buffer, and "displaying" the
splash screen. Or whatever terminology is PC.

Call the option "what-to-do-at-startup" if you like ("And tomorrow morning,
we shall have what to do after firing. But today, today we have naming of
parts.").

> What does "exist at startup" mean?  At the time the splash screen
> might get displayed, .emacs is already processed, and any number of
> buffers might be loaded already (including a whole desktop).

And?

If the string value of the option names a file or directory, then visit it.
If not, and if the value names one of those numerous buffers "loaded
already" (do we "load" buffers, BTW?), then display and select it. If not,
and the value is a string, create, display, and select a buffer with that
name.

> Those numbers in general _don't_ have a buffer name corresponding to an
> actual complete file name (there certainly won't be a buffer named ~/
> even if ~/ is already visited at the time the splash screen might get
> displayed).

And?

If the string value is "~/", then visit the home directory.

If the string names an existing buffer, then display and select it; if not,
create, display, and select a buffer with that name. Why would such a buffer
need to "have a buffer name corresponding to an actual complete file name"?

I still don't get the point or the difficulty here.