Re: Customizing the VC backend order

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Customizing the VC backend order
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 10:34:44 +0530

Hi,

On 8/10/07, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
> > No, it does not work. I get a message "No other backend to switch to"
>
> So the problem is not the ordering but the fact that vc-hg.el doesn't
> recognize the file as being under Hg's control.

Thank you for all the help. I had made the following mistake in my
windows setup. I have mercurial built as an executable and added that
folder in the PATH variable (as required). The mistake was enclosing
the folder in double quotes.

- I have mercurial installed under: E:/Program Files/hg (yes, folder
with a space!)
- I added in the PATH as: set PATH="E:/Program Files/hg";%PATH%
- From the command shell, I am able to invoke mercurial. Implies that
it is in path
- I use "which.exe" (from MinGW), it fails to find the "hg.exe"!
- I am not setting the path with out the double quotes and "which.exe" finds it
- Mercurial now works as required. The order in the vc-handled-backend
list is honored

I thought of putting in the details here as someone else may stumble
upon the same problem!
Also, I modified my dotemacs (eliminating nconc):
(setq vc-handled-backends (cons 'Hg (delq 'Hg vc-handled-backends)))

Not so important/relavent: I went through the 'C' implementation of
'nconc'. I find it concatenates 2'nd to the 1'st, 3'rd to the 2'nd...
N'th to the (N-1)'st and returns the 1'st list. I wonder how it can
get into an infinite loop. Any clarification here would help me
understand 'nconc' and 'C' better (as I find this a natural way to
concatenate lists. I would have probably done in the reverse order and
could eliminate the need for storing the first argument in the
function and just return the first argument)

with best regards,
dhruva

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Contents reflect my personal views only!