Re: address@hidden: RE: emacs 22.1 on hp-ux 11.11 core dumps when DISPLA

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: address@hidden: RE: emacs 22.1 on hp-ux 11.11 core dumps when DISPLAY not set]
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:22:28 -0400

    1. Explicitly initialize static variables, even though the standard
    requires this to happen automatically;

unexec is supposed to treat uninitialized static vars as writable and
initialized ones as pure.  On some systems it doesn't really do this,
but all variables have to follow the convention.

This, adding initializations to vars that need to be writable
could cause bugs on other systems.  That fix has to be removed.
We need to find a different fix.

Perhaps just moving them out of function scope is enough.

    2. Move static vars from function scope to file scope, even though
    they are only used in the function.

In Emacs we don't use static vars at less than file scope.  I don't
100% remember the reason why.  Perhaps it had to do with bugs in some
compiler or linker.  Anyway, this change should be done.