Re: CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4 (macterm.c broken?)

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: CVS HEAD fails to build on OSX 10.4 (macterm.c broken?)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 09:59:11 -0700

address@hidden (Randal L. Schwartz) writes:

  > >> Here's the crash log from the carbon launch.  And I'm not a carbon
  > >> programmer, so someone else will have to pick up the ball from here.
  >
  > Dan> Can you please run it from gdb and post the xbacktrace?
  > Dan> It might be something quite trivial to fix.
  >
  > Would I sound ignorant if I said I don't even know how to do that? :)
  >
  > I can click on the Emacs.app icon.  I know where the crash log goes,
  > which is what I pasted.
  >
  > I've never invoked gdb.  How would I do that from an .app file (I think the
  > binary is somewhere inside)?  Once I do that, how do I get an "xbacktrace"?

[Note that my only programming experience on a mac is porting multi-tty]

If I remember well, when you compile, an Emacs.app directory will be
created in emacs/mac.
In that directory should be a binary called "Emacs".
cd emacs/src
Run gdb like this:
gdb PATH_TO_THE_Emacs_binary

when it crashes type "xbacktrace" at the gdb prompt.