Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: display-completion-list should not strip text properties
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2007 18:58:25 -0400

        (defun foo ()
            ;; (Optional) doc string for old emacsen.
            "mumble toto titi"
            ;; (Optional) doc vector for new emacsen,
            ["mumble " (propertize "toto" 'face 'highlight) " titi"]
            ;; ...or like this,
            [html "mumble <emph>toto</emph> titi"]
            ;; ...or this,
            [texi "mumble @emph{toto} titi"]
            ;; etc.
          BODY...)

The idea of using a vector to concatenate doc strings seems
interesting.  It would be somewhat harder to implement, though,
because it would require changes to the mechanisms that store doc
strings.

I reject the idea of having multiple versions of doc strings in
different formats, because it would tempt people to put lots of time
into using the feature by writing all the formats.  We cannot afford
that diversion of effort, so we should not open the temptation.
My decision is we will not install that feature.