Re: Need for a Emacs regression test suite

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Need for a Emacs regression test suite
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 04:08:35 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 > But the suggestion was "to test the GUI invocation".  I don't see how
 > regression tests for that could possibly work.  Does XEmacs' testing
 > framework apply to user input operations?

Not currently.  I don't know about Windows and Carbon, but it would
not be impossible to develop a framework to generate X events to send
to X windows at known positions.  (Ie, you would arrange for a frame
to be created at 0,0, then you can send mouse clicks to the menubar
and things like that, also keystroke events.)  Since Windows and
Carbon are designed for operation only the local console an entirely
different approach would have to be taken, I suppose.

These tests can easily be done in LISP, since there is an xlib package
and an X window manager, both written entirely in LISP.