Re: Simplification of faces

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Simplification of faces
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2007 21:14:39 -0400

    I am looking at `face-attribute', and it looks like it would be easy
    enough to rewrite `set-face-attribute' to use `face-spec-set' and
    `face-attribute' instead of the current
    `set-face-attribute-internal'.  Would this be a reasonable change?

Please give it a try.  To work properly, it will need to find
the spec that was used last, alter it, and specify that one.

It might be easier if we extend the kinds of specs that are possible.
Right now a spec can specify attributes for a particular kind of
screen, and it can specify default attributes that come after those.
If we extend the format of a face spec so that it can have
high-priority overriding attributes, which come before all the rest,
then `set-face-attribute' could work by changing those high-priority
overriding attributes in the spec.

What do people think about that?