Re: region-active-p

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: region-active-p
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 09:56:40 -0400

>> What about to introduce `region-active-p' and/or
>> `region-exists-p' for

>> (and mark-active transient-mark-mode)

>     I think this is a good idea.  Instead of putting everywhere
>     a complex condition:

> I agree.  But we need to decide whether (not (eq (region-beginning)
> (region-end))) should be part of it.

I think it should be part of it.  All the commands I can think of that use
this kind of feature make the command work on the selected region instead of
just "at point".  So an empty region isn't very meaningful for them.

> The name `region-active-p'
> implies that it doesn't matter whether the region is empty.

Not necessarily.  I don't consider an empty region as being really "active".

        Stefan