Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 23:42:51 +0200

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:21:27 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> >> Because the 8.3 name restriction has a negative effect for _all_
> >> developers.
> >
> > What negative effects? can you show them in the archives?  AFAIR, this
> > is about the first such issue in years.
>
> It's a periodic event.

Yes, with a period that lately looks like 5 years, maybe more.

> Does _anybody_ use msdos Emacs?

I don't know, maybe not.

> Even the most conservative
> users have moved on to windows or some other system by now.

The MSDOS port runs on Windows just fine.

> Are we _ever_ going to drop support for this silly obsolete relic?

I still don't understand why ``we'' (or should I say ``you''?) care.

> Does anybody else still support msdos?

Quite a few of GNU utilities do, see

  ftp://ftp.delorie.com/pub/djgpp/current/v2gnu/

(do a "ls -ltr" to see when the latest ports were uploaded).

> In the end it's a cost-benefit analysis.  Sure the cost of supporting
> msdos is fairly small -- but the benefits seem far smaller.

When the cost is strictly zero, the benefits shouldn't matter, IMO.