Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2007 14:56:50 -0500

    I agree that it is simple and clear.  However, given the point you
    made above, I think it would be better if before-string and
    after-string properties were affected by the face property of other
    overlays (regardless of whether they should be affected by the face
    property of the same overlay).

Do you mean ALL other overlays?

So if there are two overlays A and B, A's before-string shoud be
affected by B's face and vice versa?  That doesn't sound quite right
to me, but I don't have a feel for just what would be right.

So I have installed a change that makes available, to the function to
choose the base face, the overlay from which the overlay string came.
The function is now called `face_for_overlay_string', and it is in
xfaces.c.  Given that info, people could implement whatever policy
seems right.

But I don't want to try implementing a different policy myself.  I
don't have an actual use for this feature, so I could try five
different policies with no reason to expect any of them to be good for
actual use.

I will leave this part for others.