Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Fwd: overlay face property not used for after-string property
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 09:55:48 -0500

> I think that the before-string should, in effect, use
> (get-char-property (overlay-start ov) 'face)
> to determine the face to use if no fully specified face is in the
> before-string.

No.  Go read the beginning of this thread again where I explained why this
is bad: it's (much) harder to remove a face than to add one.

Also text-properties should not affect before/after-strings.  I believe the
most obviously sensible rule is to follow the precedence that we always use:
- overlays take precedence over text-properties
- overlays of higher priority take precedence over overlays of lower priority
- for overlays of equal priority if one overlay covers the other it takes
  precedence
- for the other cases of equal priority, any arbitrary choice is OK as long
  as it's deterministic

Given this, a (before|after)-string should only be affected by
invisible|face properties set by overlays of higher precedence: not by
text-properties, not be overlays of lower precedence.

-- Stefan