Re: Emacs tramp troubles with old Sun

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Emacs tramp troubles with old Sun
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:26:45 +0100

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

> but the old Sun still fails with
>
>     Couldn't find exit status of `test -e /tmp'
>

> I can reach it  with    ssh -l bob shell.berkshire.net
>
>     Last login: Wed Nov  7 16:07:08 2007 from cpe-69-204-164-
>     Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.9       Generic May 2002
>     tcsh: using dumb terminal settings.
>

>     address@hidden ~ $  test -e /tmp
>     test: argument expected
>
>     address@hidden ~ $ which test
>     /usr/ucb/test
>     address@hidden ~ $  echo $PATH
>     .:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/etc:/usr/ucb:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11/bin

The patch seems to be OK wrt your echoing shell. However, Tramp still
tries to apply "test -e", although it's not applicable. This is likely
because of cached connection properties (see "~/.emacs.d/tramp").

Could you, please, remove this file before you start Emacs? Or,
alternatively, before you're going remote, clear the cache by calling
"M-x tramp-cleanup-connection RET /ssh:address@hidden: RET"?

Btw, next time you send a debug buffer _please_ append it to your
message as attachment with proper encoding. It contains non ASCII
characters, and email is not 8bit clean by design. I can read your
message via the emacs-devel archive, but there is a delay until a
message is offered there, and (because in HTML format) it doesn't keep
line formatting, which makes reading the debug messages hard.

Thanks, and best regards, Michael.