Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Moving files from lisp/gnus/ to lisp/net/?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 12:53:47 -0700

>>>>> "Simon" == Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

Simon> Another point of view is that several parts of Emacs already contains
Simon> code to cache passwords.  Reducing that code duplication is what
Simon> triggered me to write password.el.

I also wrote something along these lines.  I just never got around to
hooking it up to all the places in Emacs that ask for passwords.
Emacs is about the only major program I use any more that doesn't have
some kind of keyring support...

Simon> The existing `read-passwd' API is not suitable for password.el,
Simon> because each password needs to be associated with an
Simon> application-dependent 'key'.

Yeah.  In my approach, I used an alist for the key, as this fit better
with what the Gnome keyring uses.  I also wrote a little utility
program so that Emacs could easily talk to the keyring... if you want
that, I'm happy to send it along.

Simon> Regarding naming, possibly `password-read-and-cache' should be removed.
Simon> The problem with it is that it enters passwords into the cache without
Simon> allowing applications to verify that the password is correct.  However,
Simon> applications could detect this and use `password-cache-remove', but it
Simon> seems less reliable to me.

I agree.  Forgetting to remove a bad password is less friendly than
forgetting to add a good one.

Tom