Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: saveplace: don't ask for coding system
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 17:24:52 -0500

> I don't think it's better, because a lone ^M can fool Emacs even if we
> use -unix.  What would help, I think, is have an explicit EOL
> conversion stated in the coding: cookie.  Then the fragile guesswork
> will be bypassed.

You're right that the most important part is to specify the EOL in the
coding cookie.  But I also think that it should always use `unix' EOL
when writing the file, because that's the only coding-system that's
safe: both the `dos' and the `mac' EOLs can result in data loss when the
text being saved includes ^M and ^J characters.  It's minor, but if
we're going to insist on emacs-mule in place of utf-8, then we should
insist on `unix' in place of `dos' or `mac' style EOL.

        Stefan