Re: scroll-conservatively default

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: scroll-conservatively default
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 12:10:22 +0100

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Leo <address@hidden> writes:
>> This mentality might eventually put Emacs to no more. A long time ago
>> human live on eating leafs, however we have evolved.
>
> You're not seriously suggesting that people will scorn Emacs because of
> minor differences in scrolling behavior are you?

Being able to make the material one needs to view as a unit appear on
the screen painlessly is one of the most important and frequent
operations for a screen editor.

Emacs' keybindings in connection with the scrolling behavior don't help
(vi has extra keybindings C-e and C-y for scrolling without moving
point).

This is pretty much the main reason that I compile
--without-toolkit-scrollbars.  The resulting Athena-style scrollbars are
the only reasonable tool for making an Emacs window show the right
excerpts with a tolerable efficiency.

The "standard" GTK scrollbar is useless for that, and so are the normal
key and scrolling settings.

And yes: if one of the most important and basic function from an editor,
namely getting the desired code range into view, is not available, this
will most certainly keep people from using the editor.