RE: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: always put Customizations in `custom-file', never in `user-init-file'
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 22:06:07 -0800

>     The entire `custom-file' is generally not intended to be edited by
>     a user ...
>
> ... For me, it is worth making [faces] simple to set.  Thus, regarding
> faces, it is easy to see and change, and change again (and perhaps
> again and again) by modifying
>
>     (custom-set-faces
>      '(bold ((t (:background "DodgerBlue4" :foreground "coral1"))))
>
> Moreover, it is easier for me to remember the name of one
> customization file, a .emacs file, than two.

Are you saying that you edit the custom-set-faces sexp in your .emacs
yourself?

If so, then presumably you don't need Customize or use Customize to save
anything. In that case, you can keep on editing everything, including
custom-set-faces, in your .emacs. A proposal that Customize not save stuff
to .emacs will not affect you if you don't use Customize.