Re: Uninformative comment in files.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Uninformative comment in files.el
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:51:46 -0500

    Your change will cause problems for the other category of minor-mode
    like packages: those that need their overlays to survive a revert-buffer.

I don't think that's true.  Any package that depends on overlays to
correctly survive reverting won't work anyway.  Reverting the buffer
will move the overlay bounds out, at least to cover all the changed
text in the file.  That would break them.

That is why I think they should be removed.

    Blindly removing all overlays is drastic,

It is better than letting them become garbage
and get in the way.