RE: custom type `color' is not enforced

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: custom type `color' is not enforced
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 11:27:09 -0800

I wrote:

> With substring matching and using `C-u' with `C-h M-o', I can see
> candidate options whose current value satisfies a `type'
> definition that includes "string" - that means type definitions
> such as these:
>
> (choice (string :tag "Show candidate plus a WYSIWYG swatch with text..."
>                 :value "MMMM")
>         (const :tag "Show candidate itself using WYSIWYG" t)
>         (const :tag "Show candidate as is, with no text properties" nil))
>
> (repeat (list string (choice (const :tag "None" nil) (string :tag
> "Match regexp")) (choice (const :tag "None" nil) (string :tag
> "No-match regexp")) (choice (const :tag "None" nil) (function
> :tag "Predicate")) (choice (const :tag "None" nil) (repeat
> (string :tag "Extra buffer"))) (choice (const :tag "None" nil)
> (function :tag "Sort function"))))

Sorry; I mistakenly sent that before I was ready. My new Dell Latitude 620
has a glitch that it randomly flips into a mode where either Shift or
Control is automatically on, so, for instance, hitting the `s' key really
does `S' or `C-s'. Aggravating, and downright risky sometimes.

Anyway, I meant to format that last part:

(repeat
 (list string
       (choice (const :tag "None" nil)
               (string :tag "Match regexp"))
       (choice (const :tag "None" nil)
               (string :tag "No-match regexp"))
       (choice (const :tag "None" nil)
               (function :tag "Predicate"))
       (choice (const :tag "None" nil)
               (repeat (string :tag "Extra buffer")))
       (choice (const :tag "None" nil)
               (function :tag "Sort function"))))

And I meant to point out that a type def that simply includes "string"
somewhere is not necessarily a type def that uses type `string' as one of
its components ("string" might be in a :tag string, for instance). IOW, this
isn't a substitute for being able to check subtypes and aggregation type
components.