Re: Hideously slow VC status queries fixed

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: Hideously slow VC status queries fixed
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 08:21:30 -0500

Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>:
> That will show  1000 calls to vc-bzr-registered, vc-git-registered,
> vc-arch-registered, vc-svn-registered etc etc.

That could be sped up by noticing which files would normally be excluded
by dired and using using that information to set an 'excluded
property value.  If dir-state did that, all those calls would be avoided

> Another issue with vc-dired is that it does not show files that are not
> registered and not ignored. So one cannot select the non-registered
> files and register them in one shot...

Yes, this has annoyed me.  Yes another reason to think about rewriting
vc-state and substantially enriching the repertoire of states it can
pass back.