RE: "CHANGED outside Customize" in frames customization group

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: "CHANGED outside Customize" in frames customization group
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:14:45 -0800

>  >>Maybe these variables shouldn't be customizable in the first place.
>  >>Else we should try to improve the user interface.
>  >
>  > I do hope that first suggestion is an early April Fool's joke. ;-)
>
> Why do you think so?  The doc-string of `default-frame-alist' states:
>
> These may be set in your init file, like this:
>    (setq default-frame-alist '((width . 80) (height . 55)
>                                (menu-bar-lines . 1)))
>
> In my book suggesting the use of `setq' to set a variable contradicts
> the very idea of customizing that variable.

1. Not in my book.

2. If there is a contradiction (in your book), then it is a doc problem, not
a product design problem. Customizing is possible today, and it should
remain so. There is no reason that users shouldn't be able to use Customize
for this.

Now, it is true that if you count on Customize settings for this in your
init file or `custom-file', then those settings need to be loaded at an
appropriate time. If you load `custom-file' at the end of your .emacs, and
you have other code in your .emacs that depends on the customization of
`default-frame-alist', then you've done the wrong thing.

Please don't think about making things such as `default-frame-alist'
non-custom variables just to fix a product problem. Please find another way
around the difficulties you ran into.