Re: merging the unicode-2 branch (was: Re: Selection-set editing without

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: merging the unicode-2 branch (was: Re: Selection-set editing without VC-dired)
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 00:54:18 -0500

      > Recent trends in VCS make the ChangeLog file more important.  The
      > reason I dropped my opposition to multi-file commits is that I
      > realized that the info I used to get by looking at a CVS log, I could
get
      > from the ChangeLog file instead with a suitable selective visibility
      > mode.

    Can we then proceed with the unicode-2 branch merging then?

Sorry, I don't follow.  I think there is a misunderstanding here.

     Splitting
    the ChangeLog per file was what was blocking the merge.

I think that is the misunderstanding.  What I asked for was not
to "split" the ChangeLog file.  It was to simplify it,
getting rid of unnecessary duplicate entries.  For instance,
if we have

        (foobar): Change xyz.

and on a previous date

        (foobar): New function.

then we only need the latter.  If foobar is a new function, being
installed now, then we only need the "new function" entry.