Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Frame Height Different for Default Frame and Additional Frames]
Date: Sat, 05 Jan 2008 14:08:21 +0100

>>Apparently for Gtk+ users the height changes but the number of visible
>>lines remains the same when toggling `tool-bar-mode'.  For native
>>toolbar users the height remains the same and the number of visible
>>lines changes.  I reported this only to explain the behavior of Emacs
>>with native toolbars as seen here.
>

> Yes this is one of many symptoms of bugs in the Emacs-Gtk+ resize code.  Is is
> mainly due to my misunderstanding of both Gtk+ resize handling and Emacs
> resize handling.  This time two wrongs did not make one right :-).

Did we already settle on a "right" way to do this?  Robert expressed the
desire to keep the number of text lines invariant.  ISTR others wanted
the size of the frame on the screen stay invariant.  At least a similar
issue was recently brought up for menubars.  Finally, I'm interested how
changes of menu-bar-lines/tool-bar-lines are supposed to be applied and
handled - I'm quite lost in this context.