Re: 23.0.60; describe-char gives wrong information

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; describe-char gives wrong information
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:50:01 +0100

Am 15.01.2008 um 09:18 schrieb Kenichi Handa:

Did that slowness happen only after my recent change?

Yes. Could it was introduced before, but for me it became existing when I updated after receiving your eMail yesterday.

And, how did you disable font-backend via an X resource"?

Probably badly expressed. I have two lines in ~/.Xdefaults:

        Emacs.FontBackend:              x
        !Emacs.FontBackend:             xft

When the xft option is on, GNU Emacs crashes during start-up.

As far as I remember, you can't do it.  Via X resouce, you can only
specify which font backend to use.  If you configure Emacs
with --enable-font-backend, the only way to suppress it is
by the command line argument "--disable-font-backend".

When using this option on the command line, GNU Emacs works much faster, when I've configure it before with --enable-font-backend. It scrolls up or down at normal speed. And there is one more difference: I can see a file name like

        RGB äöüæÆÜÖÄ Kopie.txt

as

        RGB äöüæÆÜÖÄ Kopie.txt

while it otherwise is displayed as

        RGB aouæÆUOA Kopie.txt

Almost no open box symbol appears, which is simply great, but I am
not completely sure whether the contents of the braces is always
right (I am using utf8.txt from the Kermit distribution).

What is "the contents of the braces"?

The character as described outside. For example:

        [Ȫ]  022A  LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS AND MACRON
        [ȫ]  022B  LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DIAERESIS AND MACRON
        [Ȭ]  022C  LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH TILDE AND MACRON
        [ȭ]  022D  LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH TILDE AND MACRON
        [Ȯ]  022E  LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH DOT ABOVE
        [ȯ]  022F  LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DOT ABOVE
        [Ȱ]  0230  LATIN CAPITAL LETTER O WITH DOT ABOVE AND MACRON
        [ȱ]  0231  LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH DOT ABOVE AND MACRON

It's this file: ftp://kermit.columbia.edu/kermit/charsets/utf8.txt

--
Greetings

  Pete

Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we.
                                – Georges W. Bush