Re: Tabbed buffers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Tabbed buffers
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 13:18:09 -0500

>> Actually, I was not even thinking of adding a "tabs line" to the
>> tty display.  I was talking about the elisp-level.

> That doesn't make any sense to me.  What you're talking about then is
> a (Emacs) window configuration.  Tabs are a UI component.

This is a completely theoretical discussion.

So take a few thousand steps back and look at (single)tty frames, X11
frames, and frame-level tabs.  Do tty frames look more like X11 frames
or like frame-level tabs?

To me they look like frame-level tabs: only one can be displayed at
a time, you can't "move" them, you can "resize" them, they're all
displayed at the same place, ...

That's all there is to it really.  That's all I was saying.

What we should do with this depends on way too many details to even
start talking about it before there's any resemblance of code to support
tabs somewhere.

        Stefan