Re: Tabbed buffers

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Tabbed buffers
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:19:58 +1300

 > No.  We have no GUI features in TTYs, no menus, no scrollbars, no
 > dialogs, no toolbars, no images.  Nobody has ever asked for them,
 > either, not even for compatibility with Emacs.

AFAIK Emacs only has a menu-bar in a tty.

 >  > In fact their functionality seems very limited in an X window and
 >  > even the manual says that they are experimental.  The only way I've
 >  > found to create a second tab is by clicking on a link in a help
 >  > buffer.
 >
 > To see what they do, try C-x C-f *.c in emacs/src/ (or maybe for
 > sanity's sake in lib-src).  The default configuration takes buffer
 > list and applies the filter "keep buffers whose major mode is the same
 > as the current mode", then truncates that list to at most ten tabs.

If I do C-x C-f *.c in XEmacs I only get one empty buffer called *.c
(21.4 (patch 19) "Constant Variable" XEmacs Lucid)

 > C-h a buffers-tab will tell you a list of functions and variables used
 > to implement the default configuration.

There appear to be no functions that put a file/display a buffer in a new tab,
delete a tab etc.

Also, unlike Eclipse there is just one gutter per frame, which appears to
be shared by all the buffers in that frame, just displaying the tabs for
the one selected.  When a tab is selected it moves to the left, not just to
the front.  They don't appear to be part of a toolkit but built from one.
Now that toolkits like GTK provide tabs as widgets, I presume they might
be easier to add to Emacs.